February 22, 2019 - Opportunities for Pacific Swimming Members to Engage at Summer Nationals and Junior Nationals 2019
Alto Swim Club is extending a special invitation to all members of the Pacific Swimming community to share in the fun and excitement of both the Phillips 66 National Championships and Speedo Junior National Championships being held at Stanford University in the summer of 2019. You won’t want to miss these opportunities to be up close and personal as USA Swimming’s most elite athletes compete right here in our home LSC!
Described below are three unique opportunities for individual and/or club engagement in these national championship events. These are once‐in‐a‐lifetime experiences to be involved in our sport at the highest levels. We hope you will consider signing up for one of these programs now so you don’t miss out! Please contact Arlene McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up for one of these special opportunities.
- Be a Member of the Local Organizing Committee (LOC): As a member of the LOC, Pacific Swimming members (ages 21 and older) would serve as the co‐chair of a committee and be responsible for assisting with the planning and execution of the event(s) including being present at the venue during the event(s) and training/briefing volunteers in his/her specific committee about their responsibilities. The two committees currently recruiting co‐chairs are Deck Control and Meet Operations. Please see the below for brief descriptions of the work of these two committees. These are ideal positions for officials, coaches, and club meet directors.
- Sign Up Your Club To Be A Volunteer Team‐for‐the‐Day: This unique program allows 18 of your team’s athletes and 20 of your adult volunteer leaders to be up close and personal during the event on one day of the championships. Click here for the separate flyer describing this inspirational opportunity for your club. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, March 20. Days will be assigned on a first‐come, first‐served basis. Act now!
- Register to be a Volunteer at the Championships: Recruitment for general volunteers for both championships will begin in April via an online registration system. Look for more information in April about serving on the Pacific Swimming Volunteer Team for this summer’s championship meets. Volunteers will receive a commemorative meet t‐shirt and complimentary meals and parking during their volunteer shifts.
Deck Control and Meet Operations Committee Descriptions:
- Deck Control: Monitor and marshal the use of the pools during warm‐ups and competition sessions; execute the meet warm‐up schedule; provide security in the deck areas (locker rooms, restrooms, deck seating areas, walkways, etc.); insure safety procedures are being enforced on the deck and in surrounding areas. Four marshals will be assigned to take the backstroke flags up and down during the televised sessions. Qualifications: Should be knowledgeable about meet operations and be able to communicate effectively and professionally. Coaches and officials are preferred for this position.
- Meet Operations/Administration (Printing & Runners): Assist the administrative referee; assemble, print, and distribute all meet programs/heat sheets and results. Runners post results; distribute information to clerk of course and time trials area; deliver heat sheets to sales locations; perform miscellaneous administrative duties as requested. Qualifications: Should be knowledgeable about the technical aspect of the meet; be comfortable working with copy machines; and be able to comfortably navigate the deck (including stairs) throughout the competition sessions.