November 10, 2017 - Two New Travel Opportunities with Western Zone Diversity and Inclusion
There are two new exciting opportunities presented through the Western Zone Diversity and Inclusion group:
- The Black History Swim Meet, February 15-19, 2018, in Washington, DC, was founded with the goals of providing urban youth nationwide with a positive outlet for expression, exposure to strong competition, a forum to meet positive role models, and the opportunity to visit the nation's capital. The annual event now attracts nearly 1,000 youth competitors from swim teams in Los Angeles, Atlanta, Detroit, Cleveland, New York and other metropolitan areas in the United States. Courageous and notable African Americans in history or in the field of swimming whose contributions are known throughout the world are recognized during the weekend's events.
The trip is five days over Presidents’ Day Weekend that includes competition, an awards dinner and activities in our nation’s capital. If you are selected, you will be one of the “Best in the West,” since less than one-half of one percent of Western Zone athletes are selected to this team. Click here for the application and more details. Deadline to apply is December 6, 2017.
The 2018 Western Zone Diversity and Inclusion Camp, June 14-17, 2018, in San Diego, CA., will be the 3rd Diversity and Inclusion Select Camp and Summit. The Zone Diversity Select Camps are viewed as an integral step for athletes to move from the local and zone level onto the national scene. Athletes will participate in a three-day camp program, which includes pool training, motivational, education sessions and team-building activities.
Celebrate the opportunities of/for diversity in Western Zone Swimming through inspiration of athletes, coaches, and volunteers. Create local ambassadors and leaders to grow our sport. The goals are to empower athletes and their coaches to:
- Demonstrate the viability of multicultural success in swimming within their local LSC
- Achieve performance excellence throughout the sport
- Develop positive leaders and role models
- Connect, network, and promote the virtues of the sport of swimming through a comprehensive strategy involving the athletes, coaches, and the LSC Diversity Chairs in their own local LSCs and throughout the Western Zone.
Click here for more details and look for the application available on January 8, 2018.
If you have any questions regarding either of these two meets, please contact Kent Yoshiwara.